Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Tuesday, December 06, 2005  

Kong
Thanks to Justin, Julie and I were able to get into a press-screening of King Kong last night. I realize I have a bit of a reputation for hyperbole after seeing these big movies, and I want to try and reign myself in while describing Kong. But it is hard because this movie is big. Looking back to December of 2003 after seeing Return of the King I had this to say:

Against all odds Peter Jackson has gone from making tiny shlock-horror cult movies to one of the biggest trilogies in the history of Hollywood, and it is only fitting that his next project will be to tackle the very heavy cinematic burden of remaking King Kong. I think everyone would agree that there is no need to remake King Kong (again.) The 1933 original is one of the most iconic movies ever made and was to Hollywood in the Thirties what Lord of the Rings is to the Hollywood of today: an impossible achievement. But Jackson has done the impossible more than once, so I'm all for him giving Kong a shot, if anyone can make the big ape as awe inspiring and relevant as he was in the Thirties it's Jackson.


Even before the buzz on production began I had high-hopes for the film, and those expectations had ballooned in the days and weeks leading up to the opening of the film so naturally I jumped at the chance to see it over a week early. The film exceeded every expectation I had. The film exceeded what I thought was possible within the medium of cinema. (Damn-it! There I go with the hyperbole again.) The film is a monumental achievement in Cinema. I could go on, but I’m going to hold-off until after the premiere so I can hopefully have some more insightful comments.

The bottom line is King Kong is movie magic and should not be missed. Don’t wait-around for DVD, this film is meant to be seen in the theaters.

posted by JMV | 12/06/2005 10:30:00 AM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com