Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Monday, November 28, 2005  

Jive Turkey
Thursday’s feats was very-nearly hitchless, my only hiccup was trying, as I do every year, to remove the turkey too early. I’m paranoid about drying-out the breast-meat and always seem to under-cook the dark. This coupled with an acute fear of FBI makes the turkey-removal and carving process the most stressful part of the day. But I found a novel solution this year: I removed the wings and both breasts and the flipped the bird and tossed it back in the oven while we ate. The 15-pound Federico was stuffed with citrus and fennal, the Italian Sausage and Wild-rice dressing that I invented last year was refined (or perfected if you ask my Mom) and served with Julie’s Roasted Garlic Mashed potatoes (a full 5 pounds of them) and my bastardization of a Verive-family classic Haricot-Vert recipe (I use wine and shallots.) My gravy actually WORKED for the first-time ever, even without being able to fully-deglaze the roasting pan, though next year I think I’ll omit the oranges from the roasting pan as then tend to lend too much bitterness to the drippings. The whole meal was topped off with Julie’s Pumpkin Pie with Bourbon whipped-cream. And it was, without a doubt, the best pumpkin pie I’ve ever had, and ranks in the all-time top-5 pies. And I’ve eaten my fair-share of pies. Over-all a fantastic thanksgiving that is still yielding sandwiches…

posted by JMV | 11/28/2005 01:00:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com