Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Tuesday, June 07, 2005  

John Digs:
Narc: This little independent movie for last year knocked my socks off. From the opening sequence which left my heart-racing, my stomach turned, and has haunted my thoughts since I watched it on Friday I was hooked. Narc is a dark and gritty story of two Detroit cops investigating the murder of an undercover cop. It sounds like a run-of-the-mill cop-drama shot with independent style, but it comes off more fiercely original and masterful than any other police-procedural in recent memory. Between the script, the riveting performances (including a career best by Ray Liota) and the visual style Narc both evokes of the hard-hitting cop dramas of the 70s (Serpico, The French Connection, The Bad Lieutenant) and hints at a new renascence in what has become the most overworked genre in Hollywood.

Twilight Imperium: I’ll fly my geek flag for a moment and gush over this crazy-complex board game: it rules. “TI” is a really beautiful example of elegant game design and integration of many different mechanics that become much more than the sum of the parts. But shit-damn it is complex! My favorite part is the sheer number of important strategic and tactical decisions you are given on every turn and the ample opportunities for gamesmanship. Really a game built by and for the hard-core gamer.

TV on DVD: Now that Summer has sprung and the network schedules are rife with warmed-over repeats, trite reality TV, and the Cable outlets are stretching for programming, our TiVos are getting harder and harder to fill. But we won’t go hungry for saccharin entertainment thanks to TV on DVD! The proliferation of shows in DVD, and the increasingly speedy turnaround from airing to retail availability really makes the $17/month for Netflix an even better value. Currently we are watching a second run-through of the lone season of Firefly (which I would give the OctopusHat Quality Gaurentee, if I could find the graphic…) the funniest show on TV: Arrested Development (also for a second time), and the first season of Six Feet Under (entertaining enough, but it hasn’t really grabbed me yet.)

posted by JMV | 6/07/2005 12:02:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com