Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Tuesday, May 10, 2005  

John Digs:
My new Tuesday feature! Links! Micro-reviews! It is better than Coffee! (ok, that is a lie. It isn’t better than coffee, but it is better than decaf. A place for me to toss all the stuff that I've been meaning to get to, but haven't yet... First up:

Primer
I saw this film over the weekend on DVD after missing its ever-so-brief theatrical run last year. It is a (very) indie sci-fi feature about invention and time-travel, and the film was produced for a mere $7000 (on 16mm film no less!) If that figure means nothing to you then let me assure you it is stupidly small; almost inconceivably so. Not that a miniscule budget is any reason to praise a film, but the spirit and passion that went into its creation IS and the writer/director/producer/DP/star’s passion for his story is clearly evident on the screen. Not to mention the story is engaging and surprisingly tight for a time-travel film of any budget. I highly suggest checking it out, it may not be a film for everyone, but I want somebody I know to see it so I can talk about it with them.

The Bravery
I’ve been spinning this disc (actually that is a lie, I bought the album off iTunes, so there is no disc involved) for about a month now, and I’ve been meaning to write about it for just as long. The album is yet another shot in the volley of new-new wave (nu-wave? Nuevo wave?) bands that have been flooding the scene lately, and it blends the garage-rock-revival and new wave sounds in a way The Killers only wish they could. This would be the quintessential summer album if it had come out 3 months later, but considering how often I play it I’ll burn-out on it long before the dog-days are upon us. Still it is worth checking out, especially if it is still on sale at Best Buy for the absurdly low price of $6.99.

43 Folders
Oh man, I’ve been meaning to praise this site here at the Hat for months now. Mac-centric and geek oriented, 43 Folders is a clearing house for life-hacks, personal productivities systems, organizational tricks, and workflow management techniques. “Hints from Heloise for the Geek Set” as it’s author, Merlin Mann, says. Check out the FAQ then hit the archives.

iPhoto 5’s Slideshow Feature
iPhoto is one of my favorite apps on the Mac, and with the release of version 5 things just keep getting better. My favorite new feature is the improved slide-show interface which allows you to create slick and touching slide-shows, complete with music, transitions, and the always impressive “Ken Burns Effect, quickly and easily. Coupled with the video-out on my powerbook running to the TV it has made viewing the explosion of digital pictures on my hard drive a much more enjoyable event far beyond browsing the library or flipping through a photo-album. (and for thsoe of you on a mac w/ iPhoto 5 here is a handy tutorial on slideshows.)

posted by JMV | 5/10/2005 09:43:00 AM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com