Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Wednesday, October 27, 2004  

Pestilance
Motherfucker. I've been laid-out for the past three days with a head-cold from hell and have been unable to do much of anything. So yeah, that is my lame-ass excuse. Deal with it.

I have watched a few movies while bed-ridden (or in this case mostly couch-ridden.) First off was Marty S's "Gangs of New York" which was just ok. It looked good, and it was interesting to see the way he squashed his typical mobster-movie into the framework of 1800s New York. It felt very much like the prequel to "Mean Streets." Second we had "Clerks" which I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I was struck by the terrible acting and student-film level cinematography. It just proves that it is all about the writing. And then we have "The Day After Tomorrow" which was, in a word, disastertastic. I was looking for a dumb way to kill 2 hours, and it certainly filled the bill but not much else. The highlight has been "Flirting with Disaster" (which I watched before symptoms hit but during my incubation period.) The film is an off-kilter screwball comedy starring Ben Stiller; I would summarise the plot, but it isn't really necessary. Suffice to say the script is brilliant both in structure and dialog; there is a great mix of those uncomfortable situations that Stiller is known for and off-the-wall interactions between the ensemble cast. If you enjoyed I :Heart: Huckabees then chances are you'll enjoy Flirting.

I'll follow this up with some news later this afternoon (which probably means tomorrow...)

posted by JMV | 10/27/2004 01:42:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com