Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Thursday, August 26, 2004  

Mothers and Chemical Warfare
This is news to me. Evidently "Hot Saucing" has become a popular, and controversial, form of disciple for unruly kids. The idea is, when the kid is bad, the parent deposits a single drop of hot sauce on the kids tongue. I'm very curious to see what everyone thinks about this. I think it is far worse than a spanking or the ruler treatment. It lets the parents feel detached from the violence of striking their kids, but still inflicts (possibly terrible) pain. I also imagine that the kids that have been given the sauce treatment will grow up to hate spicy foods, which is a horrible tragedy. I am, by no means, an expert of child-discipline, but this sounds like a pretty bad idea, and I am very interested to hear what some of you think as I know you have some unique perspectives on the subject (Meli, Greg and Christine, and JF I'm looking at you.)

UPDATE
I just realised a whole 'nother aspect to this issue. Evidently the whole thing was started by southern-Christians, and was first made popular by that chick from "The Facts of Life" in her book that backs up creative disciplinary practices WITH SCRIPTURE. I'm really sorry, but I hardly think that the Bible is the best manual for bringing up kids. If it was, there would be a lot more parents telling their sons that an angel told them to take them to the mountain top AND KILL THEM if they don't behave...

posted by JMV | 8/26/2004 10:46:00 AM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com