Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Monday, July 12, 2004  

It is, after all, the CITY of angels
Over the weekend I was reminded that LA, for all its sprawling sprawl and well distributed population centers, is a metropolis. The City is home to some 4 million humans, and differs greatly from the typical suburban landscape (and believe you me I KNOW suburban landscape in the way only one native to Orange County can.)

On Saturday we took the Metro into the heart of the beast, "downtown" (the financial district to be more specific,) to checkout the opening of the first US exhibition of phonecamera photography: SENT.

SENT is being held in a conference room in the Standard Hotel Downtown (I'd link, but the sight is an annoying FLASH train-wreak,) which I've been wanting to visit for quite sometime. We arrived early enough to checkout the roof-top bar/lounge and get a $9 cocktail. There are not too many places that I can accept paying $20 for a pair of drinks, but it turns out that this place is worth it. It was seriously one of the best G&Ts I've ever had, and coupled with the awe-some view and absolutely beautiful afternoon I ended up not minding the wallet-ding. The hotel is the essence of swank, though I lack the architectural vocab to properly describe the setting. Suffice to say the decor and ambiance is like a technicolor martini mixed by SHAG and served up in a tall glass of retro-futurism.

The show itself was interesting in the way that a single hors-d'oeuvre snagged from a passing starch-shirted actess/model-who-is-working-as-a-waitress-for-a-catering-company-until-her-big-break is. That is to say, it was small, quick, and it held the mysterious promise of beauty and a future that may-or-may-not be. The Public-submitted worked were, as expected, as mixed bag of quality photography, seemingly random snapshots, and pics taken by people trying way too hard to look "arty." The featured work was pretty cool, but really small (640x480@300dpi=like a 2x3" print.) And like the hors-d'oeuvre it was over too quickly.

One of the highlights of the show was getting to have a full-on conversation with Wil. Beau was too chicken-shit to ask him for a photo, so I had to step up, and we ended up talking to him for a good ten or fifteen minuets. I admire Wil's accomplishments as a blogger and a writer, and it was cool to chat with him about blogging and poker, and he is a really nice, really cool guy.

The night continued on in (quite fittingly) Little Tokyo. Yakaitori is like my new favorite food. What can I say, I love food-on-sticks... And I seriously intend on revisiting the nameless (to me at least) joint again! And after a brief, if sketchy, ride back into H'Wood on the train (we didn't have change for the tickets and so decided to take our chances and ride w/o a return ticket,) the evening drew to a close.

posted by JMV | 7/12/2004 09:31:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com