Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Tuesday, June 22, 2004  

Toothy Gift Horses
Crazy fucking day... (Read about the theft/vandalism)
Before I discovered this I was standing in a local Mac Reseller talking about my service options for the ailing Powerbook. I was all set to get an new (bigger and faster) hard drive put in for way too much money, and planned to drop off the machine after my lunch. Of course on my lunch I discovered the damage to Julie's car and decided to wait on the expensive upgrade. ...Any way, I get home from work and hook up the powerbook to the emergency start-up disk that I had prepared when low-and-behold it boots, with no problems, of the internal drive.

Now, the internal drive has been D-E-A-D dead for like two weeks, and no manner of IT voodoo that I do could get it even remotely operational. Then it just WORKS. I'm stunned and amazed for a moment before I hastily start backing up all the critical files. I get through the address book, e-mails, and photos before she crashes again.

I imagine I'll never know why exactly the computer decided to boot for me one last time, but now at least I can send her off for a warranty repair and not have to worry about loosing ALL of my critical data. So that is some measure of good news during an otherwise crappy day.

I also re-discovered Pitchfork Media, a music news and reviews site where hyper-critical indie-rockers go to learn what is cool. Seriously though, the reviews are more often that not fairly well written. The new review of To the 5 Boroughs is particularly good. Well, it is mixed, but the writing is good. Ch-Check it out...

posted by JMV | 6/22/2004 08:56:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com