Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Wednesday, June 30, 2004  

The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire
Saw the inflammatory Fahrenheit 9/11 lastnight, and I have to say I was pretty damn impressed. I've never really been a fan of Michael Moore's, but the film was compelling enough on its own. I have a few friends that have written it off without seeing it, and I really think that is a mistake. The film isn't really just a political story. It isn't just about portraying Bush as a sycophant. It is an antiwar film in the vein of "Hearts and Minds" and "Berkeley in the Sixties." I have no problems with Republicans, I can handle Bush supporters, but I don't understand how anyone (execpt those who are making all the money) can support the war in Iraq. I would love to hear some arguments in favor of American involvement that go beyond, "Hussien needed to be removed from power." I find that a really lame reason to ruin the lives of thousands of people (both American and Iraqi.) I'll watch Fox News, I'll deal with their bias, and I don't think it is too much to ask of the right to deal with Moore's bias and watch the film. I keep hearing conservatives say they won't see the film because they don't want to buy-into Moore's propaganda. Propaganda is most effective when the people it is targeted to (in this case everybody left of John McCain) are the only ones viewing the material. At the very least Fahrenheit 9/11 is one of the most finely crafted films of the year and is worth a viewing on its merits as a stunning example of the documentary. It maynot be an example that you agree with, but that doesn't mean it should be boycotted or ignored. Leni Refenstahl was a god-damned Nazi, but her films are still a (very) valid example of the documentary form and they have a lot to teach us. And that is really what art is about isn't it?

posted by JMV | 6/30/2004 02:39:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com