Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Thursday, January 22, 2004  

Sunrise
I took this movie (1.3megs) with my DV camera and some cool time-lapse software for OS X. The clip shows the sunrise from my bedroom window (north facing) on the 20th; I started recording just before dawn and compressed around 2 hours into a 15 second clip. I'm pretty happy with the results, though next time I will have to fix a white-balance issue (as you can see in the clip, the camera gets confused about 1/2 way through and the color quickly shifts from blue to yellow.) The software I used is really cool; it allows you to set automated start/stop times (so I didn't actually have to be AWAKE at the crack of dawn to shoot the clip) and specify how often it will record a frame as well as the frame-rate of the resulting Quicktime file. It takes the DV stream from a camera hooked up via FireWire and dumps one frame at a time to a Quicktime file that can then be edited in any NLE app like iMove or Final Cut. Now, if I could find an time-lapse app for the PC I would be all set to shoot some really long-period movies (I don't want to have the powerbook tethered to a stationary camera for days at a time.)

posted by JMV | 1/22/2004 03:57:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com