Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Sunday, January 18, 2004  

Big Cats Have Sharp Teeth
I've spent the afternoon installing Panther, the new Mac OS. I've been meaning to to this for a while and finally got around to all the necessary backing up and prepping for the install yesterday. The install itself was quick and easy, but it wasn't long before the first crash. Over the next hour I experienced 5-6 dreaded Kernal Panics (nasty crashes at the very lowest levels of the UNIX operating system.) For reference I think that in the previous 9 months of running OS 10.2 I had 0 kernal panics. But after some quick troubleshooting and an OS update I seem to have de-clawed the beast. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the time being, but I look forward to enjoying all the new features of the OS.

Also, the local PBS station KCET is running the wonderful "Power of Myth" series today. Joseph Campbell is SO friggin brilliant (and it was mostly his fault that I very nearly majored in Philosophy in college.) The 6-hour program is just Bill Moyers interviewing Campbell (with some occasional video clips intercut to break up the "talking heads,") and yet it is unstoppably watchable. Campbell is THE master story-teller of the 20th Century. If you haven't seen it I highly suggest adding it to your queue.

posted by JMV | 1/18/2004 03:43:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com