Octopus Hat
We have the technology!


Wednesday, July 23, 2003  

Training to Kill...
...with X-Boxen Thats right, the US military is spending some 200K to set up 17 networked X-Box gaming centers in bases throughout Europe. There are three things I can say about this. First, 200K?! I realize that that is like one bomb and an MRE to the US war machine, but it is a WHOLE lot of medical supplies to the Red Cross, and seeing as we just go finished reducing a law-abiding country to rubble, there is probably a better way to spend that cash (especially with the huge-ass deficit.) Second, do we REALLY want our young fighting men spending their "down time" pretending to kill each other? I'm not saying the our troops shouldn't be allowed to play Video Games, but something about giving the guys with the big guns access to ultra-violent competitive on-line games strikes me as opening a Pandora's box of sorts. And finally, "Enders Game" comes to mind. It may just be my caffeine-fuled brain on a dark-futurist kick, but is military recruitment from the masses of on-line gamers that far off? We already have America's Army, and the military is quickly moving towards the deployment of remote-controlled fighting drones. Who better to pilot these weapons than the legions of twitch-gamers out there? I'm sure I'm just paranoid (my coffee was extra strong this morning) but don't say that I didn't warn you.

posted by JMV | 7/23/2003 12:18:00 PM
|
Octopus Hat
Pics From Flickr
Other’s Blogs
Links
archives
Me, Elsewhere
Buy John Beer
Links
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com